Elder Webster

Elder Webster

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Hand written letter November 27, 2011


November 27, 2011

Dear Family,

   Another transfer has gone by and now our district is the senior district., its so crazy how fast time flies. Pretty soon I will be out in the mission field. I am learning so much each day but I wish I could inhale more. There is so much I still need to know and only three more weeks before I hit the field.
    The district is doing really well. My companions and I have come so far in the past week. We have committed to truly planning and to make the most of our time by planning to the fullest. I truly have a testimony of planning. If we prepare all that we can beforehand, God will guide us through our teachings when the time comes.
      All of the teachers here are RM’s between 21-25 years old. It is pretty cool because they all have their missions bright in memories and it shows in their teachings. All of the teachers make fun of me. Not really they just like to tease me.
   We had a televised devotional today and President Holland spoke. I love hearing him speak outside of conference, because he is really blunt about stuff and if he starts talking about something he feels strongly about he will start yelling. It’s awesome but kind of scary because he is yelling at us missionaries. Today he talked about why they created Preach My Gospel. They created it because too many missionaries were coming home from their missions and falling away from the church. President Hinkley said that is unacceptable and that something is wrong with the system. So they created Preach My Gospel. Not so much for the investigator but to help convert missionaries. Once the missionary is converted then they can truly teach from the lessons, from their hearts they will teach to peoples needs. This is the Preach My Gospel  ERA, when all the world around us is falling apart and the Lords answer is sending our 19 year old boys! How can God have so much faith in mere kids? It blows me away. President Holland related us to the apostle Peter, after Christ died he and the other apostles didn’t know what to do, so they went back to what they knew “fishing”! But the Savior appeared to them and he asked Peter 3 times if he loved him. And Peter replied yes 3 times then the Savior said, “If ye love me, then feed my sheep”!! After that moment Peter became a great apostle. He never went fishing again. Because the Savior told him ”Peter you can’t go back to fishing” And that’s what the Savior says to us/ You Preach My Gospel ERA missionaries, YOU CAN’T GO BACK! Family I promise you that I will never go back to who I was, and I will never leave this church. But I will love the Savior and feed his sheep forever.
   I feel like President Holland has taken all my free agency away (ha ha) First he told me I did not have a choice in serving a mission, only the suit color I would bring with me. Now that he has me on one he says I can never go back. He has me trapped now. I am thinking this was his plan all along (ha ha)
      I was sad to hear that Ray Young passed away. I have a lot of memories with him. He was one of the few I remember from the Alpine ward. I remember they had a few stories about Brennan also.
The Scripture for my plaque I would like is Alma 26:12. I chose this scripture because I am reminded each day how weak I am, but I also realize the strengths that were once weaknesses. Because of this  - I will always boast of my God. For I know through Gods strength I can help so many people in this land, even mighty miracles. I know through him I can be a great missionary.
   I found something that I really like as a missionary. In Alma 27:4 It says the word angels that were sent from God to save them. Then if you go back to Alma chapter 13, it talks about angels spreading the word of God in verses 22,24,25 & 26. These scriptures bring me such happiness. It brings power to us missionaries that we truly are heavenly messengers. Gods answer in this world that is falling apart.
I love you guys and I miss you. I pray for you every night. I enjoy your emails and I hope I start receiving the letters you have sent.
   Very briefly I am really bummed that Desert Hills didn’t win the state championship game.
    I love you all and I love hearing from you. If you want to hear anything else just let me know.

Love Elder Webster

No comments:

Post a Comment